As I scour through my dad's work, I find it so incredible how well he understood our deficits and the solutions to them before anyone knew they were deficits at all. That is beautifully painful for me. My dad was always the one who knew what to do, how to do it and who to bring into the plan. He was not a complainer...he was a solution mastermind. The days pass and the hole in my heart, in my life, in my life grows deeper as the reality of this loss continues to become more clear. What Art had was not something that I have ever seen in any other human...it was a combination of intentionally well-informed and relevant, a critical eye on solutions that matter and a solid understanding of what is coming towards us. This brilliance with humility, forgiveness, kindness, true love for all people and constant presence in every space he joined made him the best human I have known or heard of. He made a difference everyday.

Here is another project I found from 1966. I know there are those of you out there that miss him and want to continue to hear his voice through his love for solving the problems that ail us.

https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED026333.pdf

Comments

Unknown said…
I had the privilege to meet your father in the late 1970's when he influenced my high school teachers at Sunshine High school. We even minded his kids, although my memory is a little hazy on the exact details but it was at one of the teachers homes. Looking back and now a teacher myself in the Western suburbs of Melbourne I can now appreciate the impact of what your father and our teachers were trying to achieve. I wish you the very best on your journey and thank my lucky stars that I was empowered by such wonderful teachers.
Sorry to hear about the passing of your father.
Steve Sammler said…
your father gave me my career, my life, my brain. I was in teacher corp from Portland Oregon in the 70s, I continued with his ideas in my heart, mind and life. I taught for 38yrs with his ideas in mind, I created many programs based on his ideas also. I continue to have friends I made through teacher corp. And then my daughter took me to her class for show and tell with her teacher Art. All my 3 children are now teachers.
Thank you Art and family for what you have given me and the world.
Steve Sammler
Meghan Johnson said…
His work is still so relevant today.
He taught my dad down at U of O and myself up at WSUV.
Every once in a while, I look at some of his works to keep me grounded in the true goals and real barriers.
Found this old file from one of the many classes I had with him.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b8D8U8nccNxtY5sg59do7nTvPRefrfa-cOgQzXDWHw0/edit?usp=sharing

Popular posts from this blog

Democratic Education- or, Rescuing Public Education, And While We Are at it, Private Ryan? Yes, and Everybody Else. By Art Pearl

Art Pearl Against the World 5: The solution to the world problems is democracy and only democracy